Privacy Notices - Updated
We have updated our privacy notices in preparation for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), a new data protection law that comes into force on May 25th 2018.
We will continue to hold and use your personal data responsibly, and the update will help you better understand why we collect information and how we use it. Below is a summary of the policy. For further and detailed information, please select the relevant links attached below.
Important information for patients: How we use your medical records
- This practice handles medical records in-line with laws on data protection and confidentiality.
- We collect your mobile phone number for text messaging services e.g. appointment reminders, health promotion invites, direct patient care questionnaires and surveys etc. You have the right to opt-out of our text messaging services any time.
- We have a Patient Participation Group (PPG) that will use your email address to send you newsletters on current health promotions, new services at the surgery or local areas, patient questionnaires etc. You have the right to unsubscribe from our PPG mail list any time.
- We share medical records with those who are involved in providing you with care and treatment; this includes Southend CCG's Clinical Pharmacists.
- In some circumstances we will also share medical records for medical research, for example to find out more about why people get ill.
- We share information when the law requires us to do so, for example, to prevent infectious diseases from spreading or to check the care being provided to you is safe.
- You have the right to be given a copy of your medical record.
- You have the right to object to your medical records being shared with those who provide you with care.
- You have the right to object to your information being used for medical research and to plan health services.
- You have the right to have any mistakes corrected and to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office. Please see the practice privacy notices below or speak to a member of staff for more information.
Privacy Notice 1_Provision of Direct Care
Privacy Notice 1a_Emergencies
Privacy Notice 2_ Medical Research and National Clinical Audits
Privacy Notice 3_Legal Requirements to Share Data
Privacy Notice 4_National Screening Programme
Privacy Notice 5_Risk Stratification
Privacy Notice 6_NHS Prescription Authorities
Privacy Notice 7_Children Poster
If you only want your health and care information to be used for your own care, you can request this. Making this choice won't affect the care you get in any way.
There are two different kinds of opt-out.
Type 1 opt-out: medical records held at your doctor's surgery
You can stop information that could identify you from your GP medical records being used for any purpose other than your individual care by requesting that it isn't shared outside your GP practice. This is called a type 1 opt-out. Please contact the reception for more information and an opt-out form.
The National Data Opt-out
From 25 May 2018, type 2 opt-outs will be converted into the new national data opt-out.
NHS Digital is developing a new system to support the national data opt-out which will give patients more control over how confidential patient information is used. The system will offer patients and the public the opportunity to make an informed choice about whether they wish their confidential patient information to be used just for their individual care and treatment or also used for research and planning purposes.
Please visit www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters where you can find more information about wider data uses and the national data opt-out, and where you can set or change your national data opt-out choice.
Our website is provided by Neighbourhood Direct Ltd (a member of Oldroyd Publishing Group Limited) in partnership with Myria Limited and uses the GP Fusion GP Website system.